Your Favorite Cake

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Kendra Givens
Silver Arrow

Your Favorite Cake

Post by Prof. Kendra Givens »

Chatting with some friends on IRC today, we decided that there's never a bad time to talk about cake. We were discussing which cake was our personal favorite cake, so I thought that might be a good group discussion.

What is your favorite cake? Is there a particular flavor, shape, icing, or cooking method involved? Is this the one that a family member makes for you special every year for your birthday? Tell us about it!

My favorite cake comes from our local grocery store. It's a yellow cake with whipped cream topping and real strawberries and whipped cream layered in as filling. It's very light and fresh. It's also relatively small, which I appreciate.
Mia Fountain
Silver Arrow

Re: Your Favorite Cake

Post by Mia Fountain »

My favourite cake is light with a creamy filling. With whipped cream and strawberries on top. I like desserts a lot though I am not a big fan of chocolate cakes.
Ereshkigal Csintalan
No broom

Post by Ereshkigal Csintalan »

Any time cake is on offer, I always go for something with chocolate in it. It might be chocolate orange, chocolate and mint, or chocolate with caramel filling. Just anything with chocolate really. Fruit flavours are fine but not actual pieces of fruit unless I can pick them off or take them out.

Warm cake is also the best. I love blasting it in the microwave for a bit and then adding a scoop of my favourite ice cream. It just makes it a million times better.

But if I'm getting one from the supermarket, my inner child comes out and 99% of the time will choose the caterpillar cake.
Felicity Moore
No broom

Post by Felicity Moore »

My absolute favorite cake flavor would be Red Velvet. I love it so much ESPESCIALLY with cream cheese frosting. It has been my birthday cake flavor ever since I was 4 years old! It's not like I hate the other flavors I just prefer this one over the other ones. I don't hate any flavors though which is good because all of my friends like a different type of cake. I don't know what I would do if I didn't. I would feel horrible not eating their birthday cake!
Aura Nightmoon
No broom

Post by Aura Nightmoon »

I am not the biggest fan of chocolate or vanilla, but I love strawberry cake with vanilla or cream cheese frosting and sprinkles! I also prefer cupcakes over a big cake as they're already individually set up to eat.
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

One of my brothers makes his own birthday cake every year, and it’s always a dark chocolate cake (made with a little bit of coffee to enhance the flavors) layered with a most delicious peanut butter frosting.

It’s already hard enough for me to resist a good chocolate/peanut butter combo to begin with, but I’m also a BIG fan of anything “à la mode,” and you mean to tell me you’re just gonna annually serve me up this delightful treat with a side of ice cream??

Yes. The answer is yes!

This past February when I asked my partner if he was gonna come along with me, he jokingly said: “Only if he’s making his usual cake.” :lol: :wub:
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Elena Hargreeves
No broom

Post by Elena Hargreeves »

I'm a sucker for strawberry or just classic chocolate (or maybe even a combination of the two! There was this one bakery where I went to university that made the absolute best strawberry cakes with buttercream frosting, and I could never resist a slice when I had the time.
February Fortescue
Cleansweep One

Post by February Fortescue »

Perfect timing! I've been thinking about cake, because my brother's birthday is this week.

I love store bought Birthday cake the best. There's just something about that sugary confection which really appeals to me, and I love eating that along with chocolate ice cream.
superb sig by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
No matter where you go, there you are.
Violet Buttonwood
No broom

Post by Violet Buttonwood »

While I'm pretty partial to a caramel mudcake, by far, if you need to bribe me a black forest cake will get you there in one go :lol:
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adeline Morior »

Any really chocolaty cake. I love a chocolate cake covered in caramel and flakes of chocolate bar with an ideal milk and coffee syrup poured over. But any mouse cake would also do as chocolate mouse is my favorite.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Anne-Marie Gagne

Post by Anne-Marie Gagne »

Red Velvet cake with cream cheese frosting is my favorite cake out there. Angel Food Cake is a very close second haha
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

I’m not really a cake person; I like pies a lot better actually. But if I had to pick one out, it would be my grandmother’s apple cake. There is no icing on it, but it’s so moist and flavorful you don’t really miss it. It’s not overly sweet, which is probably one reason I like it so much.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Amy Darvill
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Darvill »

I'm always down for chocolate cake, though that's more for the chocolate aspect then the cake aspect. I find most cakes a bit dry and the flavor a bit thin, but I like sweets enough that I don't usually pass up cake either.
Reyyan Azkendra
No broom

Post by Reyyan Azkendra »

For me chocolate cake or cheese cake is the best! especially if the cake is steamed. Uhh I can even imagine how soft the cake must have been eaten while it was still warm
Thank you for the cool signature, Ana! :wub:
Louis Walles
Moontrimmer

Post by Louis Walles »

I am allergic to coconut so I can't have a cake with it. I really like banoffee pie.
"He who fights too long against the dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you" ~ Nietzsche
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Smith »

I am the kind of person who loves chocolate, so I would probably eat any chocolate cake or any cake that has chocolate, but apart from that I like red velvet cake as well.
Prof. Will Lestrange
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Will Lestrange »

I'm not sure I have a 'favourite' cake as there are so many types of delicious and fancy chocolaty cakes that it's very difficult to choose one!

But I'll pick a regional "if you never were there, you probably never had it" cake from an 'island that time forgot'... the Smith Island Cake (Maryland's state dessert as of 2008)! Named after its place of origin in one of the southernmost parts of Maryland, the cake is a white or layer cake known for its enormous number of very thin layers ('ten' is the standard, but 'seven' is the bare minimum, and I've had some slices with more than a dozen) each joined together by a chocolate fudge icing!

Variants of the cake can use different types of icing (such as peanut butter, strawberry cream, coconut, or cream cheese) for some of the layers, or different types of cake layers (red velvet is a favourite of mine, but 'pure' chocolate cake or carrot cake) in place of the yellow or white cake layers. If you want to add other Maryland flavourings there, there is even a variant with a buttercream flavoured with Old Bay (a celery salt based seasoning that is regionally known for its application in crabs)!

The constant feature in all these variants is the large number of small layers and the way that they make the icing an integral part of the cake-eating experience... I highly recommend this cake by itself or with ice cream!
Romulus Balthazar
No broom

Post by Romulus Balthazar »

My all time favourite cake is lemon drizzle!
Wil Golde
No broom

Post by Wil Golde »

I love anything with lemon in. My current favourite is lemon and poppy seed, because its not too sweet or heavy. To be honest though, I will eat any cake that doesn't involve nuts.
Gracelyn Baker
No broom

Post by Gracelyn Baker »

I'm actually not a big cake person, but one I will eat no matter what is Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting. Frosting is usually too sweet but adding the cream cheese makes it so much better.

Return to “Discussions”