Use of AI Tools on HOL

Official Announcements
Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Use of AI Tools on HOL

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

The Head Office would like to clarify the official position on using AI/machine learning tools around HOL.

We expect everyone to respect the spirit of the section of the Code of Conduct that requires everything someone submits to be their own, original work and not substantially copied from elsewhere. Anything you submit for HOL must have a substantial amount of your own effort/or and creativity behind it.

In the case of writing assignments, this means you cannot submit text generated by an AI/ML tool and claim it as your own. Everything you submit must be written in your own words.

In the case of artwork, graphics that are purely AI/ML generated are not permitted. As many graphics on HOL rely on source material that you do not create yourself (such as stock images and elements), we can’t prevent you from using AI generated art as part of a graphics submission but you must have altered, added to or manipulated the source material in some way to create a graphic. This is exactly the same approach we would take with photographs that were not directly taken by you. Staff may ask you to show the work that you've put into a graphic that shows signs of AI use to make sure it falls under this exception.

Anyone found to be submitting work generated by an AI tool will face the same consequences as they would if they were discovered to have copied from an online source.

This policy applies to all areas of HOL where you receive credit for your work in the form of points, beans, awards or other compensation (like internal house points), including homework, department submissions, activity submissions and newspaper submissions.

If you have any questions about this, please send the HO an email via headoffice @ hol.org.uk (without the spaces).
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)

Return to “Announcements”