Before you apply, please read through this post as there have been several changes from previous terms.
When considering whether or not you will apply to be a Professor or Student Teacher, you need to keep a few things in mind.
- You must be at least 17 years old to become a Professor (though this is not the only criteria and whether you become one or not is exclusively the decision of the Head Office). Student Teachers can be younger but still must be over 13. In both cases, you need to have been a member of HOL for at least 6 months.
- Your class website needs to be live with links to at least two lessons and assignments so that the HO can have the best information possible when reviewing your application. Quill requirements and your points breakdown need to already be established.
- All classes have to offer 300 points worth of work per term, no fewer. You can choose to offer a bonus assignment (to help those who didn't earn the full 300 points make up for it), however, the maximum number of points any student can earn from your class remains 300 points.
- Each assignment and extra credit can be worth a maximum of 30 points. The same applies to the term project and exam (if applicable). You are welcome to combine assignment and extra credit into a single assignment, in which case the maximum number of points would be 60. Similarly, the term project and exam can be combined.
- Final deadlines for all classes should be listed as 10 January/June at the earliest.
- Accessibility is a priority at HOL. Please read this post for more information.
- Plagiarism is not allowed at HOL. Do not copy your lessons or parts of your lessons directly from another source. If you do use other sources in researching your class, you must cite them.
- Professors may earn points, but they do not count towards the House Cup. Student Teachers may earn points like regular students.
- We value quality over quantity. We will be going over each class carefully before making a decision as to whether we accept your class or not.
Please also keep in mind that all Professors are required to teach at least one class should they hold any other titles or positions (be it within a particular House or a HOL-wide one). If a Professor does not apply to teach a class in the upcoming term, their status will be changed to Professor Emeritus and they will be unable to hold any positions/titles on their Professor accounts until such time that they apply to teach again and their class gets accepted. Professors whom this affects should discuss their situation with the Head Office.
If anyone has any questions or concerns, please send an email to headoffice @ hol.org.uk (without the spaces).
What kind of classes are we looking for?
- Classes that have some tie into the HP universe are usually a good thing. For instance, we teach Herbology, which is one of the Canon classes in the HP universe--but, we don't teach it the way Professor Sprout does!
- Lessons that are well thought out and of a good length get high marks from us. Take a look at older classes that have been offered for examples.
- What is already being offered? We don't need 10 Muggle Studies classes, for example. If someone is already teaching it, you might want to either choose a different subject or find a way to make it more unique.
- If you don't have a working website with at least two lessons/assignments up, your class application will be rejected. If you need to take a few extra days to get your class up to standard, then take that time (bearing in mind the deadline). Two weeks after each term starts, all classes (old and new) must have all the lessons and exams and projects available on the website. If not, the class will be closed and the students can then choose another class.
- HOL IDs will no longer be used as such for HOL. Points and awards submissions and so on will use a person's HOL name instead. Please remove all mention of HOL IDs from your classes if you are intending to bring back an old class.
- Double-check before submitting your application whether you want to teach a ONE TERM class or a FULL YEAR class. (Only applicable to the Autumn Term)
- All Post Graduates who wish to teach would need to apply to be a Professor. Once you've graduated you can no longer be a Student Teacher.
- As a Student Teacher or Professor, you will be expected to check your class(es) regularly (both for new sign-ups as well as any issues or concerns students might have) and also the HOL Forum.
- Please be sure to read through the Teacher Handbook, located in the footer of the main website.
However, if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us - after you've read this post at least twice.
Link to Class Application