Knitting Comments, Exclamations And Discoveries

Class led by Prof. Cosmo B. Mott

Moderator: Prof. Cosmo B. Mott

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Heya Knitters!

I didn't see a topic in here for comments and discoveries while knitting so thought I'd start one.

Although I am a co-teacher of this class (Professor Mott is very persuasive, don't ask what she did though :o ), I've not picked up knitting needles in at least a couple of years. I'd knitted 'some' before, mostly, again, because of Professor Mott's persuasive abilities, but I'd call myself, at best, a neophyte knitter.

So this last Term I decided to take her (our) class!

And for the very first assignment I had to find my knitting stuff (yarn and what all) and actually sit down to DO it.

Then I found out that I had to remember how to hold the knitting needles.

I used circular needles, with bamboo tips. Okay, got that piece of cable stuff out of the way. Sure ...

Then I followed the instructions on how to cast on. And actually cast on the beginning 36 stitches. YAY! :lol:

Then, for what seemed hours (but wasn't) I attempted to make that first stitch of knitting. (I knit Continental style but the instructions that Professor Mott wrote are good for either method that she teaches in her class.)

Oh. Gee, if I go to the other side of that piece of yarn on the knitting needle .... my new stitch stays ON the needle and doesn't slide off!

Amazing. Truly amazing ....

WHEW.

Then I knitted. And knitted and knitted. And knitted some more. Pretty soon I got into a sort of rhythm and was even able to watch a television show while knitting! (Okay, I watched a few shows while knitting. I'm not very fast!) This handcloth was knit to American Idol and then Jeeves & Wooster.

This morning I took pictures of my absolutely lovely, beautiful and idiosyncratic hand cloth and sent them in to Professor Mott. You'll be able to see the pictures at her class site!

*halo*

What stories do you have?

:)
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Lily Padfoot
No broom

Post by Lily Padfoot »

So. Knitting. I was (and really still am) very nervous because I know how much of a perfectionist I am and knew that every single time I messed up somewhere I would want to rip it all out and start over.

So to start off, I had far too much trouble getting the hang of casting on. It just wasn't working. The loopy things just wouldn't go the way it was supposed to, and so I tried to break down the movements and figure out what in the world I was trying to accomplish in the end. Somehow or another I did eventually end up with 36 stitches cast on, though not at all the way I was probably supposed to do so. Come to find out, after taking a look at lesson 2 a couple of days ago, I think I basically ended up casting on the way described there *headdesk* oops, but hey, it worked.

Much as expected, I messed up a lot. I did pull it out and start over a few times before finally just going with it, mistakes and all, figuring I would learn eventually. I actually discovered a few useful tricks along the way with backtracking to correct minor missteps, which was reassuring so I could fix a few issues and not drive myself completely up the wall.

I mainly knitted at night after work when I was trying to relax before bed and also watched TV shows while doing so. It's one of the reasons I'm really glad to have chosen circular bamboo needles. The bamboo is just so quiet. I think the metal clicking during my TV watching would have been distracting. Mind you, I probably did much more staring at my yarn and needles than at the TV anyways...

Now I have a decent sized washcloth that I am quite proud to have finished. I finished about a week ago, but my digital camera is truly pathetic and I need to figure out still how to get pictures to send in. Just a minor detail. >> There is one thing that is making me cringe though... it is not square. It is supposed to be square. I tell the perfectionist in my head to shut up, but really, I can't look at it too long at the moment. I found a useful little article on shaping items by stretching out the finished product to the desired dimensions and using steam or water to stretch the yarn a bit and then letting it dry to keep the new shape. Haven't tried it out yet out of fear of somehow ruining my first assignment, but I am very tempted to give it a try to have some symmetry.

Also, I finally got around to buying the materials for my project, which I'm super excited about! If completely terrified of screwing up. That would be bad since I need it to be a presentable gift at some point. It is after all the main reason I signed up this term. Haven't started on it yet as there are some stitches I'm completely unfamiliar with (well duh, I only know one now) and need to research how to do (or bug Cosmo about ;) ).
Lily Padfoot | li409 | Seventh Year
Gertrudis Leheureux
No broom
Location: On my bike riding into Hogsmeade for a soda at Madame Puddifoot's.

Post by Gertrudis Leheureux »

Hey there all.
I was just in NYC (Feb13-21) for a week of business and pleasure (mostly business which ended up being quite pleasureable) and I brought along with me all 3 of the washcloths that I made in Magical Muggle Knitting last term. In NYC I met up with another HOLer, Hufflepuff first year Claire Inkling who in real life is a librarian from Florida. Since I'm a librarian, too, we visited a lot of libraries. As a treat we went to the Scholastic Publishing offices to visit another friend who was there for all of the bru-ha-ha that surrounded the publishing of the HPseries. Fascinating stories of locked doors and encrypted computers. While at Scholastic we bought house ties. I wear mine (now that I'm back in Valencia Spain) whenever I am doing HOL homework.

I gave the washcloths to Claire and Dianne. They were touched. It's not everyday that somebody takes the time to knit something just for you. To celebrate we went to Lion Brand Yarns down on 15th Street. What a place! When everybody is in NYC for the HOL meet up in July, for all the members of Knitting this is a must-tour, you bet. There is nothing they do not have and no I do not get any kick back on merchandise! I didn't want to leave.

NYC was freezing but cold but I had the pure 100% wool shawl/scarf (schwarfl) that I made as my scarf project in Muggle Knitting. This kept me incredibly warm. As a gift, I gave it to one of our hostesses when we made a foray into New Jersey to visit other libraries and librarians. This particular librarian put us up in her house that came complete with chimney, dog, snow and beavers who had taken to eating the bark off of her trees (hard winter, apparently). Her kitchen was a dream come true. I gave her the schwarfl; it looked lovely on her.

A tip about cotton yarn which I found out later: Buy pre-washed, pre-shrunk cotton or knit everything one inch (2 centimeters) bigger on all sides because when you get around to washing it in boiling water (or even cold water for that matter), it shrinks up like a spider on a hot stove. I swear the cotton I bought is what Levis uses for their jeans. The washcloths I knit did indeed shrink up. Not only that but half the dye got squeezed out in the process and I now have a bunch of pink-tinged tablecloths (most irritating; pink is nice in small doses, I prefer not to have yards and yards of it).

ALSO. I need references for Prof Rorey's Internship at the Ministry class this term. If any of you still remember me a little bit from other classes and Ravenclaw activities, I need your permission before I include anybody in my list of 3 (three) references. Let me know if you are available and I'll be most obliged, honoured and happy.

Keep those knitting needles moving and happily engaged!
Gert Leheureux
Ravenclaw Eagle, 4th year
Last edited by Gertrudis Leheureux on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
...or wizards. (JRRTolkien)
Thanks to Efie of Sparkly Butterflies, Sparkleissa Ink, for the gorgeous signature.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Assignment 2

I've never done a knitting cast-on. Ever. I think I managed to do it, but I think it is backwards. At least it is consistently backwards ...

Then I knitted 6 rows instead of 5 rows. Okay, I kept THAT too.

Then I started remembering how to do the purl stitch. DARN IT! I completely forgot that I'm supposed to knit 5 and then purl across ....

That's when I frogged it. *sigh*

The knitting cast-on is sort of invisible, right? And what's another row of knitting 5 vs 6? (I'll just have to make sure that I end up knitting 6 rows at the finish, instead of 5, so it is balanced in appearance.)

But I knew that it would really stand out later on in the completed work if I purled all across instead of knitting the first 5.

I really don't like frogging it. Not toading it either. (heh heh) <_<

EDIT
Well, I finished my assignment 2. \o/
One thing I learned is this: to be more careful where I have to count which row I am on while watching a movie. Especially if it is a GOOD movie. I was watching Forest Gump and ended up with a reverse stockinette row. Ooops.
It was close to the size that I wanted to make so decided to just do garter stitch and finish it off!

Now I'm researching what scarf I want to make for the Term Project. I think I've found it.....

<3 The David Tennant Doctor
Last edited by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black on Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

Post by Prof. Cosmo B. Mott »

Hey, knitters,

Okay, this is why having Tarma as the co-professor is good. She's good at just sitting down and posting. I always plan on it and then either get sidetracked or dither around trying to find the right way to phrase something.

Anyway, I wanted to comment on a couple things already said, and then add my own tales of knitting... whatever. :D

First off, Tarma, this is why you don't have such long gaps between projects. Just think of all that potential knitting time just down the drain! And we should really sort out this whole backwards cast on thing, just so it's a useful skill. 'Cause, as great as it is to do things the "right" way, it's really all about the result. If the result is what you want and/or are happy with, rock on.

Now, Lily, I've seen your first assignment, and you're doing great. Don't be afraid of little mistakes here and there, either. For instance, the stitch we learn in Lesson 4 (the bramble stitch) is the first non-knit or purl stitch I ever did, and it was used as a block in an Aran sampler afghan. I distinctly remember working on the square one night (all night and into mid-morning, actually). I was more than half-way done when I noticed that two of my brambles very early on were smaller than they should be. I decided to let them be, and now it's... kind of my favorite square in this 20-square afghan. In fact, when I was piecing it together, I made sure to put it at the "top" of the blanket, 'cause it's my special square. So, you know, learn to embrace little fumbles.

Oh, and I know the washcloths not being exactly square can be annoying, but I did have a reason not to cover what to do if you need to adjust the size a bit (a process called blocking, by the way). I thought, "Well, if these are supposed to be practical items, they don't really need to be square, right? So just let them be what they are. Also, it'll give you something to cover in a second class!" But that's great that you went and found out on your own.

*waves at Gert* Good to see you still hanging around here. Let us know how your further adventures in knitting come along.

Now, for a couple of Cosmo knitting tales, which all revolve around the same pattern.

A friend of mine asked me to recreate this capelet she has, which was a fun challenge. I pulled it off (yay!), but the yarn I used to make my prototype was a bit thicker than the original, so my version was bigger. So, I got thinner yarn to try again. (When you've got patterns where size is important, even two worsted weight yarns might not substitute well for each other, which is what happened in my case. Such is the fun of yarn.)

Everything went well for the remake -- its size is a much better match to the original -- and I seamed the two main pieces together, and then I knit the several inches of trim onto it. Nothing too unusual. Except, I noticed several days after I finished the thing that I'd seamed the main pieces together inside out, and because the knitted trim isn't reversible, I couldn't do anything about it. Unless I wanted to unravel it all and reseam and reknit and refringe, which... well, I don't want to do. :D I don't think anyone would really notice that it's wrong, unless they're really looking for it, and it doesn't look bad, but... oh, boy, was my face red!

Also, I'm amused how we all like different sorts of needles. I've never found my nickel needles to be particularly clicky, except maybe when they're dangling and I'm not actually knitting. Working with them, they're pretty quiet. And it's funny, when working on the capelet's trim (which ends up being something like 244 stitches in the round), because I don't have a long enough circular needle, I use two circulars to get the full circumference. As it happens, I've used my sort of try-out set of Knitpicks interchangeable needles -- I bought size 7 in nickel, wood, and acryllic -- and I always dread working on the non-nickel needle! The others aren't slick enough for me. But, you know, that's what I love about knitting. No one uses the needles in the same way as anyone else.

Anyway, I'm going to catch up on this week's Glee and work on my sock (so I can then do another capelet). But feel free to talk about how Assignment 2 is coming along.
"...they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."
-James Hilton's Random Harvest

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

I did end up knitting the Doctor Who scarf for my Term Project.

Last night I knit the final two rows and bound off on it (while watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 which I felt very funny because here I was knitting a Doctor Who thing for a Harry Potter (HOL) class Term Project.)

I still need to take care of some of the loose ends -- and ..... I like my scarf! :o I'm sort of astonished that I like it, because I'm really not into scarves that much except as a practical thing when it's cold and I want to be warm!

But I went and put it on and looked in the mirror and gee, that looks sort of nifty!

Anyway, yes, I'll be taking pictures of it and sending to the Professor so folks can see it. I'm sort of thankful that I asked Cosmo to help with colours. *halo* The possible combinations that I might have chosen would, of course, be rather 'great', but I don't know how well they would have worked with a pin-striped scarf.

And my write-up (worth more points!) will include some nifty OOOoops things that actually I like (and kept) as well as some things that were OOOooops which I didn't undo and redo and hopefully are invisible or at least unnoticed forever. :D

I guess I better look at this month's assignment. ^_^
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Gee, I am the last person to have posted. But since it's been at least a couple of weeks, I'm going to post again. No one yell "SPAM!" You could have posted!

I finished with assignment 3. Ask me if I like to knit the purl stitch. Just ask me. .....

It LOOKS sort of great though, surprisingly so. And I found out, by the end of that assignment, that I could knit the purl stitch okay.

I'm doing an extra curricular project just now -- a sort of thank you to a certain Butterfly person for doing something for me for TWiT.

It's ALL HER FAULT that I was awake last night wondering what went wrong .... *pokes the Butterfly*

Anyway, I was watching Sherlock Holmes (after a conversation in #hol last night I decided to watch it yet again) and knitting and decided that some ribbing would go nicely after some stockingnette (sp?) so started ribbing away. Knit at a knit and purl at a purl, right? So I merrily wrote myself a recipe and, feeling very proud of myself, knitted and purled, knitted and purled.

Gee, that doesn't LOOK like ribs ... so I knitted and purled another couple of rows, thinking that it just wasn't L-O-N-G enough to show the ribbing.

WRONG.

I didn't know what to do. Colour me sleepless in (a little south of) Seattle. (Tom Hanks, where are you?) ANYWAY this morning I called Cosmo (Professor Mott).

- Cosmo are you awake?

- I woke up to answer the phone.

- Oh. Um. Well, will you talk with me about knitting please?

And she DID! :D \o/

She explained some things to me and made suggestions of what to do to correct it.

It turns out a person doesn't KNIT where one KNITTED and PURL where one PURLED. Oh, no. You're supposed to look at what is on the needle as you are knitting, and decide if it looks like a knit stitch or a purl stitch. So if you knitted on the other side, it looks like a PURL stitch. And vice versa.

*sigh*

However, after I frogged all those rows of knitting (it looked really pretty by the way, it just wasn't ribbing) and carefully put the little loops onto another needle and started again -- it looks like ribbing! YAY! I even did a couple more rows of knitting, just in celebration.

I've looked at Assignment 4. Yes, indeed, I looked at it. *nods*

ps By the way, I have been wearing my Doctor Who scarf. I've even received compliments on it! And no, Professor PinkFuzzySlipper, I realize I do not count as a true blue dyed in the wool Doctor Who fan because I've not seen all the episodes. But at least I know what a Tardis is, and to WATCH OUT for DALEKS!
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Assignment 4.

I finished the extra curricular project and mailed it to the Butterfly person. She says she likes them. I'm wondering when that particular charm that I knitted into it will kick in. Hmmmm. *halo*

Assignment 4

Okay, long tail cast on. I can do that. In fact I did it a few times. On the 5th time, the remainder of the tail wasn't too long so I kept it. The previous cast on attempts had tails that were worthy of a kneazle ....

Garter stitch first three rows! Easy peasy!

Garter stitch first three of the next row. FINE!

For the next 40 minutes I attempted to do the knit 3 stitches in one stitch (that wasn't too difficult actually) and purl three together across the row.

PURL THREE TOGETHER.

Like I said, it took me easily 40 minutes to finish that [most likely a word edited-by-McNish] row.

The next row, of purl stitch, seems SO easy compared to that! I still don't like the purl stitch all that much, even if I can create it more easily now.

But what I thougth I'd do, as I was struggling so mightily to purl three together in the previous row, is to knit the next row VERY LOOSELY. I am a sort of tight knitter. I like things to be made secure and 'stout'. Yes, I'm a belt-and-suspenders person. Well, it was not very difficult at all to knit that next row loosely. I made sure that it was SO loose, each and every stitch it was LOOOOOOOSE.

So when I did the purl three together things in the subsequent row, it only took me about 5 minutes to do it.

WHEW.

^_^
Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

Post by Prof. Cosmo B. Mott »

I'm apparently in a chatty mood at the moment, so I thought I'd share my latest knitting thing.

I haven't taken pictures yet, but I finally finished my knitted TARDIS. I've had the pattern for more than two-and-a-half years now, but I was trying to find a good TARDIS blue sock yarn. Why sock yarn? Well, the four sides of the TARDIS are 37 stitches across and 96 rows tall. If I did that in a worsted weight yarn, it'd be massive. Huge. (See? This is why gauge is important.) I don't know what my exact gauge was with the fingering weight yarn and my size 1 needles, but the finished thing is about 10 inches tall, not counting the little bit on the top for the light. Yeah, worsted weight would have been awful. Anyway.

I finally got the blue yarn back in May, only I didn't have the white and black until July. Then it was a matter of starting, which took a while. This was my first time doing intarsia. It's something I've watched other people do (in instructional videos), but I've never found a project I liked with it. In fact, most of the intarsia I did in this was self-inflicted; the pattern was a sort of prototype chart, so I made a few adjustments to what the colors meant. Regardless, I've learned one thing: I hate intarsia.

Okay, hate's a strong word, but it's not my favorite thing ever. It's just... too many yarn strands getting twisted up together and tangled. I don't think I had a consistent way of handling the yarn from panel to panel. Major props to those intarsia knitters because, man, is it not really my thing. I mean, I generally got it worked out, though there are a couple spots where my intarsia noviceness is all too clear (particularly on the front panel, which was of course the first one I did; note to self: if you ever do another knitted TARDIS, do the front panel last so you can work out the kinks first), but I don't mind it, really. It's like Bob Ross used to say: they're happy accidents.

Oh, here's something else I learned: I'm not a fan of duplicate stitch for letters. At least for some letters. Like P. The pattern called for the words "POLICE BOX" to be added via duplicate stitch. I would have just sort of semi-stranded it in, except that I was already dealing with three yarns at that point, so I thought I'd better not press my luck. So, I finished knitting the panels and went to duplicate stitch the lettering in, and my goodness, the P with duplicate stitch was making me so annoyed. I ended up cross-stitching the letters instead (a handy skill I picked up from Ronja's embroidery class, which inspired me to create these classes; it's the circle of life, y'all), but that sort of dictated how wide the panels had to be, which was wider than I had intended.

The other problem with it is that I had only bought 50 grams of the blue yarn. While I was knitting the panels, I thought I was going to run out of the blue yarn before I finished all the pieces. Luckily, I didn't, but only just barely. I didn't have enough of the TARDIS blue to seam up the sides (though I had enough of it to seam the top and bottom on), so I used some navy sock yarn I had left over from another project. That's probably the thing that bugs me the most, the visible seams, but I think I can live with it. I mean... it's the TARDIS!

Anyway, that's my most recent knitting adventure. I still have some socks to finish, but that's much more of a "sit back and relax and watch a season of a cancelled TV show just because you can" project than this was. Still, though, I have a knitted TARDIS. :lol:

If you're feeling chatty and want to talk about your knitting, whether directly for the class or not, please do! Pull up a chair, grab a cup of tea or whatever, and tell us all about it.
"...they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."
-James Hilton's Random Harvest

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Discovery:

I wonder how I might sort of accidently abscond with Cosmo's KNITTED TARDIS . *VIG* (very innocent grin)

Discovery the Second:

I have found out how to knit cables. I've also found out how to read pattern charts. The two discoveries go hand-in-hand as the first lesson for Wearables tells how to knit cables. I found a lovely pattern in the link that Professor Mott supplied, which she approved for me for a lesson 1 project.

YAY!

I found out there were no written directions. Oh oh. I've only ever followed knitted directions ... but there was a chart. Yay? So I followed the chart, reading it from top to bottom and from left to right. It just didn't LOOK right. No.

So I tried it again, looking in some knitting books that I have on hand, on how to read a chart. Oh, okay, I go from the bottom, from right to left, and then left to right, up and up ...

Nope. That didn't work either.

When in doubt, GET IN TOUCH WITH THE PROFESSOR.

So I got in touch with the Professor. I explained to her that I was almost about to THROW my knitting across the room and foreswear (word?) knitting forever. IE I was not happy! :(

She very graciously looked at the pattern, at the chart rather, and told me that I had to knit the invisible rows too. Yes, the Muggles have a magical thing about having invisible rows to knit on their charts.

:o

She also said she would be posting how to knit from charts in the lessons (in fact I think that is already done).

So now I have a lovely (absolutely stupendously lovely) knitted cable headband.

!! YAY!
Eia Donne
No broom

Post by Eia Donne »

I need to try a knitted TARDIS someday....made a 10 doll for a friend a couple years back and maybe he could do with some transportation XD

I've made a few discoveries myself this class. The first was that cables are really not as terrifying as I thought them to be.

The second discovery was that while cables themselves aren't that bad...backtracking on them are! About halfway through on the cabled brim of the hat I made for the first assignment, I noticed that I had messed up in the pattern. I sighed, and proceeded to undo the row I'd been working on and the two prior two it. However once I got to the row where the cableing actually took place...well, lets just say I was at a loss of how to do it ^^;; Did I need to use the cable needle again? When do I use it? Which direction do the stitches go again? In the end I gave up before it turned into a complicated mess and just left the flaw in there.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

I just finished a project that involved the use of garter stitch, some purl stitch and decreasing -- all of which is covered in Professor Mott's lessons. :D (It also involved picking up stitches to start another part of the project but so far Professor Mott hadn't talked about that?)

Yes, I knit a sweater. It has been a huge undertaking for me, in that I knit SO slowly and was using a yarn with I find difficult to knit with. (It is a high/low yarn (Homespun) which is gorgeous and soft and easy care -- so was worth the extra bit of effort involved in knitting it.) I also made a bunch of errors here and there (some of which I undid back to for corrections and some of which I decided to leave as they were) so that took some time too.

However, I finished knitting on it Monday night, tidied it up yesterday (another bit of a 'huge' undertaking) and mailed it off. Between the sweater and The Hunger Games (posted elsewhere), I've been 'not here' ! *HALO*

Mostly, I guess, this is a 'thank you' post for Cosmo. I'd never thought to be able to keep to a project so large (without putting it away for months at a time) and found out that I could do it .... get some good Doctor Who movies, some Michael Palin's 'exploring' DVDs, and follow a basic pattern that is mostly just garter stitch. *g* (I used Elizabeth Zimmermann's Tomten pattern for the sweater.)

:)
Gertrudis Leheureux
No broom

Lots of chit-chat there girls but where's a photo of this famous knitted tardis? I want to knit one too. And a pattern might be nice!

Cheers
Gert L'x
Last edited by Gertrudis Leheureux on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to Efie of Sparkly Butterflies, Sparkleissa Ink, for the gorgeous signature.
Eia Donne
No broom

Post by Eia Donne »

There's quite a few patterns out there on the internet for knitted TARDISes, not to mention even more patterns for items with TARDIS motiefs. If I were on my laptop rightnow I could probably pull up a few of them. I'm positive I saved some in my pattern bookmark folder.

ANd ugh....just had to frog half of my project for this month DX earlier I'd noticed that I'd skipped two rows but shrugged it off and decided that that particular mistake wouldn't make a huge difference on the finished product. But then I skipped the same two rows again....and again......and again.....eventualy I get to the point where I check this half against the half that's currently on my stitch holders and realized that it was going to be incredibly lopsided if I didn't do anything about it. Unfortunately there were so many skipped rows that I had no idea how much I had to backtrack that I decided it would just be easier to start over.

Thank goodness that, as I already mentioned, this is only half of the project and I don't have to start the ENTIRE thing over again.
Gertrudis Leheureux
No broom

You are so right. I did some butt work and found two very good patterns on the net. I totally understand your feelings about mucking up the pattern and then having to frog. I'm going to the 5th International Quidditch World Cup, 11-13 november 2011 in NYC. I shall be meeting 3 friends there and I am knitting them all wool hats. Each hat demonstrates a newly learned skill in knitting from each of our lessons in Muggle Knitting Wearables. So far I have frogged about as much as I have knit. I am on the 4th hat which is cables and popcorn. The last hat will have more than one colour if I can figure out how to do it!

Happy Frogging!
Gert L'x
Last edited by Gertrudis Leheureux on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eia Donne
No broom

Post by Eia Donne »

I just shouldn't mess with altering patterns DX (or at least clothing patterns...amigurumi I alter constantly). The numbers are all starting to get confusing and weird and I'm not quite sure why I'm ending up with more stitches in the second sock and somehow it still seems to be turning out smaller than the first one even though I swear I'm doing the exact same thing!

At least I'm reassured by the fact it's my first time even doing socks so therefore they won't be a gift to anyone.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

I'm so remiss! I meant to post this last week (or maybe the week before ...)

The Final Exam is posted and I have been going through all kinds of things in the Ravelry search, looking for something that I like, would want to (attempt to \o/ ) knit, and would actually use (or find a use for).

I finally found something and have started it. A circular (knitting in the round) scarf with a LOT of lace stuff.

^_^

Thing is, it is knitting 3 (that's right, THREE) together for the lace stuff and I have a bit of a challenge in doing this. But when it's done, it will be very pretty. The thing with lace is that, while it is difficult for me to knit, at least it makes it 'larger' in the final product *cg* . I imagine Professor Mott will have a picture of it in her 'student's work' page.

Anyone else find something that they are doing for the Final Exam?
Eia Donne
No broom

Post by Eia Donne »

I'm attempting a rather ambitious project for my final: a sweater (or the John!Jumper as my friends and I have been calling it). It's a version of the sweater John Watson wears in the first (and possibly third? Can't recall if it makes an appearance then) episode of the BBC series Sherlock, along with at least 1/3 (if not more) of the fanart for the series. The pattern involves cableing, and the instructions I downloaded come with a way to do it either flat or in the round, so obviously I chose the later to qualify it for the exam.

I'm dead set on having it finished for the premiere of the second season on January first ">> But we'll see....the holidays have been flat out chaotic so far, plus I have all my gifts that I have to finish before Sunday.
Last edited by Eia Donne on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Knitting the Muggle Way”