Monthly Discussions

Class led by Polaris Black

Moderator: Prof. Polaris Black

Prof. Kyrie Adderholt
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Kyrie Adderholt »

If you have chosen to do one of the monthly discussions for your homework then please reply here. This will be used for each month to keep things tidy.
thank you dear Sin
Lilly Anderson
No broom

Post by Lilly Anderson »

I think Russia handled the witchcraft craze better. This is because there were many people pardoned. Also they did not burn children like Germany. The entire Russian population also seemed to be in less of a panic then the German population was. That is why I think that Russia handled the witchcraft craze better.
Thanks Scarlet!
*hugs*
Prof. Sandra Bloomwicks
No broom

Post by Prof. Sandra Bloomwicks »

Assignment 4 - Discussion
What do you think was to blame for the huge decrease in witch persecutions from 1560 to 1700?

I think that the dawning of the Age of Enlightenment was partly to blame in the huge decrease of witch persecutions from 1560-1700. Ideas in this philosophy, which emphasized reason and scientific thought rather than tradition started spreading around the late 1600's. This was the complete opposite of witchcraft persecutions as it was all about punishing because the Church decreed it so, or because they didn't know anything about mentally ill in order to treat them, so they just killed them instead. This age helped challenge the ideas of the Church, tradition, and faith, which helped to squash all the silliness of the Inquisition.
Wand: 13 1/4 inch ash demiguise hair
<3 Efie for sig
Prof. Sandra Bloomwicks
No broom

Post by Prof. Sandra Bloomwicks »

Assignment Five - Discussion
If you had been a witch in Scandinavia, what do you think your fylgjur would have been? Why?

If I were a witch in Scandinavia, I would like to think my fylgjur would be a wolf. In the spirit world, a wolf is characterized by it's sharp intelligence, appetite for freedom, and liking a strong sense of community. Having been sorted into Ravenclaw, I like to think that I value intelligence and like to pursue knowledge. My fylgjur would not only understand this, but actively help in this area. Wolves love freedom, yet they still have strong loyalty to those they love. I feel like I demonstrate this, as I never wish to be a domesticated house wife, but I will fully love my husband and stand up for him in any situation. Wolves also live in packs and understand it's the community that helps them survive. I tend to love all the communities I'm a part of, such as HOL! :)
Wand: 13 1/4 inch ash demiguise hair
<3 Efie for sig
Kaiwa Alexandra
No broom

Post by Kaiwa Alexandra »

If you had been a witch in Scandinavia, what do you think your fylgjur would have been? Why?

I think my fylgjur would be a persian cat.
Persian cat is a long haired, indoor cat who often kept as a pet.
They don't really like noise and are not really fond being in a massive group of people.
Persian cats also looked cold and ignorant from the outside, but they actually are really nice and cheerful.
Some of people think they are less cooler than dogs because they're not as playful and faithful as dogs, but some other people just love Persian cats as they are, once they know the personality.
And it sounds like me a lot. So I think, Persian cat would be my fylgjur!
Natasha Wynterborne
No broom

Post by Natasha Wynterborne »

If I had been a witch in Scandinavia, I believe my fylgjur would have been a Robin. I relate to birds in general, because they get to fly around, but one thing that appeals to be about the Robin is that they are a sign that Spring is on the way. No matter how harsh Winter has been, or the struggles we've been through, the Robin reminds us that warmth and sunshine are not far behind, and our struggles will be easing up. We can make a fresh start. This bird also reminds us to shake off the Winter sluggishness, get out, and enjoy ourselves. The Robin has a red breast, and red symbolizes passion and energy and zest. It's yellow beak symbolizes the sun in it's warmth and vitality.
avatar & banner by the amazing Fumei
Sierra Potter
No broom

Post by Sierra Potter »

Assignment 5, discussion.
If I had been a witch in Scandinavia, I think my fylgjur would be a deer, though. Because deer seems and cute and funny (also it is a herbivore and I feel save, because it will not eat me, cough) and it often is representated as an intellegent animal in fables.
Cheers, Sierra.
Lilly Anderson
No broom

Post by Lilly Anderson »

# 5
My fygiur if I was a witch in Scandanavia would probably be a black panther. Panthers are traditionally associated with the night and I am more comfortable with the dark as I am a bit of a night owl. Also the panther has a traditional association with femininity and I am a slight bit of a feminist.
Thanks Scarlet!
*hugs*

Return to “The History of Witchcraft”