Comfort Watching

Discuss TV Show Here

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Sky Alton
Twigger 90

Comfort Watching

Post by Prof. Sky Alton »

Now and again, when I’m feeling down, have had a particularly hard day or need something that doesn’t require too much concentration, I’ll return to one of a few shows. Sabrina the Teenage Witch and the Big Bang Theory for Comedy, Tennant Era Doctor Who or The Musketeers for drama. I’m not entirely sure why but something about these shows just makes me feel better.

Do you have the TV equivalent of comfort food? What shows will you always return to when you need a pick-me-up?
"Growing up doesn't have to mean I lose the cape, the faith, the dream. I'm so done with that... I'm taking it back."
(Av/sig by S. Elf)
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Re: Comfort Watching

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black »

Sometimes it is just time to sit and 'do nothing' ... and knit!

I'm just now re-watching Doctor Who #10 (David Tennant) and he's met up with Donna Noble again and were Partners in Crime (which is funny because later on they will be meeting with Agatha Christie and yes, she wrote a book with that title). I like watching Doctor Who #9 and #10 for laying back and being comfortable. I love to also watch the documentary things of making the shows and watch the shows with the commentaries.

Another movie, or set of shows I like to watch is the BBC show Neverwhere. I like the story, the music of it, and the people who play the parts ARE the parts. What is funny is who plays the angel ... sometimes I think "The angel has the phone box'. At first I only had the regular DVDs -- I ended up getting the set which has the commentaries by Neil Gaiman.

There are others but those are a couple of go-to shows which I love. As for movies .. well ... a couple which immediately pop up are Stardust and Lord of the Rings (everything of LoTR - movies, commentaries, extras, all of it!). Another which is fast developing as a favorite is Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Yes, I love it. A lot. :wub:
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... Siggy image by Susan Seddon Boulet *** Avatar from Leverage
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Vanessa Tilley
Silver Arrow

Post by Vanessa Tilley »

If I feel really down, Gilmore Girls is my go to show to feel better although I haven't been able to get myself to watch it yet since I lost my mom. The characters are great and it reminds me of my mom so much. I also like to watch Chance in a Million which is a hilarious British Show from a while ago but I love it!

If I want something really funny, I watch Monty Python, Doc Martin, Are you being served?, and Keeping up Appearances.

Siggy and avatar made by the wonderful Professor Scarlet for Slythmas! :wub:
Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin »

While I don’t usually rewatch series, there are a few that have helped me get out of a funk, including:
  • Castle
  • Parks and Recreation
  • Shakespeare & Hathaway - Private Investigators
  • The Mentalist
Most of the above shows are mysteries/crime dramas with elements of comedy. Trying to work out whodunnit helps keep my mind off of other things, and being able to have the occasional laugh certainly helps.
Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Post by Shadow Gaunt »

I definitely have some favorites for "comfort watching" and even though most of them are Russian, I still have some favorites in English:
  • Sherlock Holmes
    Harry Potter
There are some more but I can't remember the names right now
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin
Iris Jaylee Shaw
No broom

Post by Iris Jaylee Shaw »

My go to tv show that I watch when I'm sick is always America's Next Top Model. It's just something relaxing that I can watch and if I space out or go to sleep it doesn't bother me and I don't have to go back and rewind it.

Steven Universe is a show that I just like to chill to and I'll put on just because. It's not really tv even though I watch it on tv but I also like to watch Escape the Night on youtube. It's a fun show.
Prof. Maxim Trevelyan
Nimbus 1000

Post by Prof. Maxim Trevelyan »

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is definitely my go-to comfort watching. It is a fun, criminal procedural show around 20 minutes, give or take. Perfect for my short attention span when I am upset.

Then some other shows that I know mostly by heart, such as South Park, Criminal Minds, X-Files, Bones, and so on. I grew up with them and that feeling always relaxes me.
...also a platonic soulmate and a hot mess of a human being.
Prof. Rorey Padfoot
Cleansweep Three

Post by Prof. Rorey Padfoot »

We are currently re-watching Modern Family. I love this show and how funny it is.

We also just finished series 10 of Doctor Who, which we are behind on this show due to not cable, but luckily we found a library in our area that has dvds up to the latest season, so we're going to return what we have and grab more. :D
~Prof. Rorey Padfoot~*~Ravenclaw~
Emily Spencer
Comet 180

Post by Emily Spencer »

Prof. Rorey Padfoot wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:02 pm We also just finished series 10 of Doctor Who, which we are behind on this show due to not cable, but luckily we found a library in our area that has DVDs up to the latest season, so we're going to return what we have and grab more. :D
I am stoked! A fellow Doctor Who fan, yay!! This show is my ultimate definition of 'comfort watching'. I've actually watched all of them starting way back with the Classics (via DVDs and streaming, I'm not quite that old lol) My favorite Doctor would be Matt Smith. I'm not too excited about the last season, but that's just me.

I am also currently watching Family Reunion, which I find extremely funny. I'm not usually a comedy-type person, but I love this one.
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
Head Student/Slytherin Prefect/Student Teacher/Library & Book Club Head
Prof. Sindor Aloyarc
Comet 140

Post by Prof. Sindor Aloyarc »

Some of my favorite old faithfuls are Friends, Parks and Rec, and United States of Terra, though I have to say Modern Family is another up on my list of rewatchables as well, and we love throwing on stuff like The Voice and American Idol.
Deputy Headmaster | Deputy Head of Ravenclaw
"⁠—Starry, starry night. Paint your palette blue & grey."
Vali Solheimr
No broom

Post by Vali Solheimr »

My favorite comfort show I always going back to BBC Merlin. I don't know why its so comforting, the only thing is I skip the last 3 or so episodes :P
Amy Smith
Oakshaft 79

Post by Amy Smith »

Some shows that I truly love and find comfort in would be, Friends, Big Bang Theory, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and Modern Family. These are a few of the shows, that I could watch again and again and never get bored of.

Apart from the above-mentioned shows, I also love watching The Mentalist, person of interest and Doctor Who.
Bellatrix Bryce
No broom

Post by Bellatrix Bryce »

I have so many comfort shows!! My favourite being Pretty Little Liars. I have watched it so many times, I could probably speak the whole series :P

Criminal Minds, Greys Anatomy and The Vampire Diaries are other comfort shows I have watched many times :D
Vivienne Moonacre
No broom

Post by Vivienne Moonacre »

I feel like I have an extremely varied taste in movies. When I'm feeling down and wan't to watch something that takes me back, I'll watch Matilda or any studio Ghibli movie, preferably Kikis delivery service, when Marnie was there or Howls moving castle.

I really like witchy movies as well such as Sabrina the teenage witch, practical magic, Hocus Pocus Elvira mistress of the dark or the witches of eastwick.

I'm from Sweden so any Astrid Lindgren movie will make me feel better and remind me of all of the good memories from my childhood!!! :wub:
Marta Delacour
No broom

Post by Marta Delacour »

My favorite series is Stranger Things, but it is not at all my comfort show. I would say that when I am a bit sad I like to see Anne with an E, because it entertains me so much and I forget all my problems, I LOVE that series. When I am happy I usually watch Julie and the Phantoms, because it contains a lot of amazing music and scenes that make me so happy and put me in a good mood. I also enjoy watching Gilmore Girls at any time when autumn starts because that show really gives me autumn vibes, so we could say that it is my comfort autumn show haha. Imagine watching it during a rainy day, with a coffee and a sweater, I JUST LOVE IT!! :P
Nini Garcia
No broom

Post by Nini Garcia »

I feel like I always go back to watching the same shows/movies. Harry Potter, Better Things, Glee, Stranger Things, High School Musical: The Musical: The Series and some childhood shows like Liv and Maddie and Wizards of Waverly Place. They will all always have a special place in my heart no matter how long I go without watching them
Dawn Diya
No broom

Post by Dawn Diya »

My comfort shows consist of feel-good sitcoms. My favorite is The Office, I've watched the entire series so many times. I also love Parks and Rec, and New Girl. I'm currently watching Scrubs, which is such a feel-good show and I can tell I'll be rewatching it in the future sometime.
Adeline Morior
Oakshaft 79

Post by Adeline Morior »

My feel good comfort shows also consist of good sitcom fun. I love to re-watch something funny like friends, big bang theory and how I met your mother. Or if I'm feeling in the mood for fiction, I would watch supernatural or vampire diaries, originals or witched of east end. Mostly if I can I would on a few movies if tv shows don't comfort me. LOTR, HP or Pirates of Caribbean will always be amongst my favourites.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" - Albus Dumbledore
Bowie Sixx
No broom

Post by Bowie Sixx »

schitt's creek is one i like to have in the background while i am doing other things. It light and easy to follow. specially after having watched it so many times!
Fae Lee
No broom

Post by Fae Lee »

my comfort shows when i need a laugh are usually the office, new girl, or the community. when i want some drama i watch pretty little liars. for crime shows i watch criminal minds and lie to me

Return to “TV Talk”