The Shannara Chronicles

Discuss TV Show Here

Moderator: Prefects

Prof. Limine Snidget
Silver Arrow

The Shannara Chronicles

Post by Prof. Limine Snidget »

I've wanted to watch The Shannara Chronicles since I saw the previews for it. This new fantasy series on MTV seemed just up my alley. The show chronicles the journey of three young people who go on a quest to protect the Ellcrys, an ancient tree that locked up all the demons after the War of the Races, and to prevent the banished demons from being released.

I've recently finished marathoning the series thus far and now I don't know what I'm going to do, having to wait a week for the next episode. (Marathoning shows is always better - you don't have to wait to continue watching.) Does anyone else watch this show? I don't know of anyone who does and I'd love to discuss it with someone.

I've also thought about reading the books. The series is an adaptation of the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. Has anyone read them? I'm guessing they're probably better than the show...? (Since that's typically what always happens.)
Arianna Stonewater
Comet 140

Re: The Shannara Chronicles

Post by Arianna Stonewater »

My husband and I just watched this on Netflix. I have never read the books, but if they follow the trend of the books being better I may have to read them, because I LOVED the show. It was very well directed, and I felt that they reasonably covered issues other dystopian shows have failed at. Did you ever end up reading the books?
Prof. Limine Snidget
Silver Arrow

Post by Prof. Limine Snidget »

Arianna Stonewater wrote:My husband and I just watched this on Netflix. I have never read the books, but if they follow the trend of the books being better I may have to read them, because I LOVED the show. It was very well directed, and I felt that they reasonably covered issues other dystopian shows have failed at. Did you ever end up reading the books?
I feel like I've heard that the show differed quite a bit from the books, but I may be wrong. I still haven't gotten around to reading them! I'm kind of waiting for someone else to be a guinea pig and let me know if I should.
Austin Ollivander Black
No broom

Post by Austin Ollivander Black »

The show was alright but I never read the books but I'm sure like most things the books are better.
Image RQT 2017/18
Marie Dark
Oakshaft 79

Post by Marie Dark »

I'm sorry I didn't enjoy the show... at first it started out pretty good but then , it became too..... hmmm what's the word??? Too basic and predictable... I don't know.... it just didn't keep my interest... and like my hubby says.... I'm sure the book is better..
Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin »

I've just started watching The Shannara Chronicles, and I'm enjoying it so far. It's unfortunate that it got cancelled after the second season (although there's always the hope that another network will pick it up).

I do plan on giving the books a read at some stage, as some of the events precede the events of the TV series and it would be interesting to learn more about the world that Terry Brooks created.
Prof. Amy Lupin
Shooting Star

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin »

I finished watching the first season over the weekend, and really enjoyed it. It was predictable in parts, as Marie mentioned, but the story was still very satisfying. I also liked the character development, especially for Ander and Eretria. I really felt for both Ander and Wil in the last episode or two, as they've both lost several people close to them.

I can't wait to watch the second season!

Return to “TV Talk”