Doctor Who!

Discuss TV Show Here

Moderator: Prefects

Tara Aurelium
Oakshaft 79

Post by Tara Aurelium »

I gotta admit, I was pretty surprised there was no Doctor Who thread yet! I thought a crazy RQTer would've probably opened one by now :o

anyway!

Thoughts on the new Doctor anyone? He's no Tennant, sure, but I think he's pretty good so far. Adorable as hell and his acting is good. I'm a Matt Smith supporter so far \o/

will miss Tennant mucho though D: D:

discuss away!

I lol'd.
5th year | RQT co-captain | the botmaster
Ronja Liek
Moontrimmer

Post by Ronja Liek »

I thought Matt Smith was brilliant as the doctor, and so, of course is Steve Moffat :D
I also loved Amy Pond, and poor Rory " You made me dress up as him..."

I am quite sure the brilliance will continue, I can't wait for next saturday.

Yay for the bossy doctor!

"Then how do you know it's a duck pond?"
My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.
Ardeliah Longbottom
No broom

Post by Ardeliah Longbottom »

I for one, was pleasantly surprised that he didn't turn my stomach. He was very good at being the Doctor. I loved how he seemed to have a sense of humor. Only time will tell how good he will be in the long run.

Twilight = hundreds of pages of googly eyes and unrealistic stalkerish controlling romance and fainting and head-crushing-talk.
Alexia Riaper
Silver Arrow

Post by Alexia Riaper »

As an avid/rabid Tennant fan, I was not expecting to like this at all. I was most displeased when we learned that Tennant was leaving - and since he was the only reason I ever watched the show, I figured I'd stop watching once he was gone. But I figured I owed it to someone (not yet sure to who), to at least watch one episode with Matt Smith. Maybe so I could whine and complain about how horrible he is.

Unfortunately I kinda liked it. It was a good episode - Moffat did a great job there. And I even liked Matt a little bit. He wasn't as horrible as I was expecting. But I did have a few beefs.

a ) the bowtie is hideous - get rid of it.
b ) stop acting like Tennant. You aren't Tennant. You will never be Tennant. So don't play the Doctor like he did. He changed it up from Eccleston so you can do the same.

With that said, I liked the episode enough and I quite liked Amelia Pond, so I'll still watch again tomorrow!
Last edited by Alexia Riaper on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronja Liek
Moontrimmer

Post by Ronja Liek »

Alexia Riaper wrote:QUOTE (Alexia Riaper @ Apr 9 2010, 03:23 PM) B) stop acting like Tennant. You aren't Tennant. You will never be Tennant. So don't play the Doctor like he did. He changed it up from Eccleston so you can do the same.

I don't think he was acting like Tennant.
He was just being the doctor.
My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.
Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

Post by Prof. Cosmo B. Mott »

Alexia Riaper wrote:QUOTE (Alexia Riaper @ Apr 9 2010, 08:23 AM) a ) the bowtie is hideous - get rid of it.
ARE YOU DISRESPECTING THE HOUSE OF BOWTIE?

Wait. Wrong meme. :D

I like the bowtie. Well, the idea of it. The first one seemed a little... not fluffed enough. But the previews showed a better bowtie geometry, so I'm down with it. I'm way more interested in the pattern on the shirt, though, 'cause it's wacky-awesome, as well as the striped cuffs. Very unusual.

As for Matt Smith as the Doctor, I really liked him. There was a manic-ness to him that I liked (though I don't think it's gonna stay at that same level of intensity; I think it's just the newly regenerated Doctor "cooking"). I found him really engaging and fun to watch, and very much The Doctor.

And I generally agree with Ronja, that he wasn't acting like David Tennant, though there was a moment in which I had a sort of aural flashback to Tennant's Doctor, but I think it's easily explained in the story context (basically, this is the same man, just with a different face, and there were things he was saying, like, half an hour ago that he's still used to saying in a certain way, though that will most likely change as he adjusts to his new body; that's my story and I'm sticking to it *g*), so I don't mind it at all. I didn't feel like he was trying to ape any of the previous Doctors, either; I thought it was just a really solid performance. I look forward to more.

Also? In interviews, Matt Smith has namechecked Patrick Troughton as a favorite Doctor (that's the second one, in case you're wondering). I haven't seen much of the Troughton years, but I know that his Doctor liked to play the recorder, so I'm inclined to like him. Ah, recorders.... Anyway. New Who.

I really liked Amy (and little Amelia, too). And Rory. Poor Rory. I always feel bad for the boyfriends left behind. Which, er, in the case of New Who, is basically only Mickey. But whatever. Poor underdogs who can't compete with the Doctor.

I'm really looking forward to this new series. I think it's gonna be great. The non-Who Steven Moffat stuff I know is great -- funny and touching and scary -- and his Doctor Who stuff is always fantastic (he's written at least half of my absolute favorite episodes), so I have high hopes that I'm sure will be met.

Alexia, I hear you about being an avid Tennant fan; I caught the bug full-on a few months ago and have since spent a lot of that time watching and listening to just about any Tennant performance I can get my hands on, and he's a very impressive actor. I don't think I've come across something he can't do. And, if you haven't heard him doing Noel Clarke, you're missing out. </tennanttalk>
"...they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."
-James Hilton's Random Harvest

Jinxy Jo
No broom

Post by Jinxy Jo »

Alexia Riaper wrote:QUOTE (Alexia Riaper @ Apr 9 2010, 02:23 PM) b ) stop acting like Tennant. You aren't Tennant. You will never be Tennant. So don't play the Doctor like he did. He changed it up from Eccleston so you can do the same.
At first I thought that he was trying to be like Tennant but then when I thought about it, maybe that is what they want. Tennant was such a success as the doctor that the probably don't want to change his personality too much because people wouldn't like it as much and might just not watch it altogether. And I also agree with Cosmo, that maybe it was just because he was regenerating that he was acting like that and this week might be different (which I haven't yet watched).

That being said, I have been told that he acts that way in interviews as well, so really, it might just be the way he is.

I'm not sure if I like him yet so I will have to watch a few more episodes until I decide.

Is it just me or does anyone find the new theme tune lame?
If I should become a stranger, you know that it would make me more than sad (8)
Tara Aurelium
Oakshaft 79

Post by Tara Aurelium »

Am I honestly the only one who thinks Matt Smith is adorable? My friend told me that after watching the second epi she wanted to smack him. She loved Amy though, so meh. :x

I really don't think he was acting like Tennant at all- I watched closely and kept trying to imagine Tennant's Doctor doing the things he was doing, and it seemed off. In my head anyway. I could be wrong. :P

Don't diss the bowtie, it's amazing and you know it!

The new theme tune IS... well, new. I think I kinda like it, even though the last one was better in my opinion.
Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

No, Tara, you're not the only one who finds Matt Smith adorable. There's a funny charm to him that I'm enjoying. And Amy is just a firecracker, tons of fun. I think this particular Team Tardis is shaping up quite nicely.

In regards to my theory that I'm stickin' to, I just watched some Series Two DVD extras, which included a deleted scene of the Tenth Doctor, just after having regenerated, trying to say "Fantastic!" and failing, 'cause it didn't fit the new mouth. Then he's trying to find something to that expresses the same sentiment but with a word better suited to his new mouth. So, basically, I look at it as making my theory absolutely canon. *g*

As for the new theme, well... I'm not gonna lie to you, but I miss the old theme (and the old Tardis), but that doesn't mean I dislike the new one (either of them). Actually, I think both of them are rockin' a sort of old-school DW vibe, which is interesting and I totally respect. And, I suspect that, given enough time, I'll come to love them both. (Hey, I've finally come 'round to really enjoying the Beatles song "Within You Without You," which I've disliked for a good fifteen years, so it's definitely possible.) And, since the new song accompanies the new logo -- which is awesome, by the way -- I think that'll make me enjoy that much more.

Tara, I think we need to start a club for fans of the Doctor's bowtie. Bowties are cool; the Doctor even said so.
"...they didn't think there was anything very odd in anyone being a little odd."

Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

No new thoughts on the latest episode?

Well, I didn't enjoy "Victory to the Daleks" as much as the first two episodes. I'm not sure exactly what didn't click for me, because the premise was kind of a great one. I'm not sure how I feel about the Dalek redesign. I think the larger size is fine (in Doctor Who Confidential, they said the Daleks in the first series were designed to have the eye stalk level with Billie Piper's eyes; since the new companion is taller, they stuck with that measurement and ended up with a taller Dalek!), and the different colors are fine -- a bit on the bright side, but I can see it used to an interesting effect, though I liked the bronze color from before. But, it seems like the silhouette has changed a bit, and that's throwing me. It's not a drastic change, to be sure, but it's enough to mess with my head. It's another change I'll have to get used to, but that's okay. :D

This is the third episode Mark Gatiss has written (the others were "The Unquiet Dead" and "The Idiot's Lantern"), and I haven't really loved any of them (like the way I love "Time Crash," "Blink," "The Unicorn and the Wasp," "Midnight," and well, pretty much everything in Series 4), which is a shame, because I really like watching him talk about the show. I mean, his episodes are fine, workable, with some nice moments, even, but I haven't been wowed yet, and I really want to be.

The next episode is apparently with the Weeping Angels; yay!

Tara Aurelium
Oakshaft 79

Post by Tara Aurelium »

Oh dear, I neglected this topic. mmk, spoilers ahead!

Victory of the Daleks:
The episode was... fun. Not more than that though, really. I'm sick of Daleks- I wish they'd just be killed already, forever. And with no miraculous survivor ships this time. Although it seems that there would be no season of Who without a Dalek appearance, so I'm just going to hope their appearance will be cut down.
There were some moments that I really did love in this epi ("Tardis bang bang, Daleks BOOM!", Daleks offering tea...), overall I wasn't too pleased. Not an epi I'll remember like the ones you mentioned, Cos.
It doesn't help that the Daleks now look like twisted Teletubbies, either.

Anywho.

Time of the Angels:
Oh. My. God. Ohhhhh my god.

This episode is. so. good. The plot is fantastic, River Song is love, and the angels scared the crap out of me. I nearly fell of my chair.
"Hello, sweety!" in the beginning just made literally lol, and "Spoilers!" made me giggle- River was awesome through and through, and I really can't wait to find out more about her.
Amy's also awesome, despite some people claiming she can't act. I really can't wait to see what's going to happen to her because of that Angel's eyes! When she had to not blink I pretty much stopped blinking myself!
And poor Sacred Bob... for some reason I liked him the best. :< Probably the name, but still.
Alsooo: "Ooh, you sonic'd her!" lololol.

Overall: AMAZING episode, major improvement since last week, and I can't wait till Saturday now to see the next episode! eeeeeeeee.
Last edited by Tara Aurelium on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

Okay, after having a crappy internet week, I was having some trouble posting here. It's a slightly less crappy internet week, though, so here I am.

Steven Moffat is awesome. He writes the best episodes. The one-two punch of "The Time of Angels" and "Flesh and Stone" was amazing. I didn't think the Weeping Angels could be any more creepy than they were in "Blink," but they are. Oh, my god, they are. Deliciously so.

It's funny; the Confidential episode spent a bunch of time basically talking about how awesome everyone thinks Steven Moffat is. And, I completely agree. I've loved his Doctor Who episodes, and the other two shows of his I've seen I've loved. He really is rather brilliant, which makes him a great fit for this show. Also? It dawned on me that, if you count the 11th Doctor stuff Moffat wrote for "The End of Time, Part 2", he's written for every series (well, boxed set, anyway) of the new show.

I found myself loving Amy and the Doctor even more, which I didn't think was possible. Amy's just so mad and delightful. Like, she doesn't have a filter between her brain and her actions, which is so much fun to watch. And Matt Smith's take on the Doctor, which I've always liked, just keeps getting better and better. The scene where he's talking to Amy about trusting him? Amazing. One of my favorites, I think.

And next week brings Rory back into the picture, which I'm looking forward to; yay, underdogs! I mean, the shirt he's wearing at his bachelor party? So adorable.

Speaking of adorable, I've been trying to watch some earlier Matt Smith stuff, 'cause it's kind of what I do, and I've been watching "Party Animals," from '07, and Matt Smith is so adorable and fun to watch. I mean, I already liked him, strictly based on his Doctor Who performances -- 'cause he's been great so far -- but this makes me like him even more. Anyway. That was random.

Tara Aurelium
Oakshaft 79

Post by Tara Aurelium »

Seems like it's only you and me here, Cos :c Oh well.

This week's epi was fantastic. It was just a big load of fun. There's not much to say really, it was just... fun.

"She tried to kiss me. You're lucky though, she's a good kisser!"
"Think of the children"
"Ew.. I mean, I've been around a bit, but really that's... that's... ew"
"The people upstairs are very noisy"
"Yours is bigger than mine!" "Let's not go there"
"You big, stupid, great... SPONGEBOB!"
"The only thing I've seen uglier than you is..your mum!" "Did you just say something about my mummy?"

Just great, haha
Jinxy Jo
No broom

Post by Jinxy Jo »

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the second part of the weeping angels episodes. The first part was good but the second part, not so much. On another forum about DW some people seem to think Amy is the young Riversong, but I'm not too sure.

I love this weeks episode and I think you've written down all the good quotes Tara, although I did like the 'And you kissed her back!', 'No I kissed her mouth' line, even though it took me a bit longer to click on to it. I think Rory is a brilliant addition to the Tardis!

I'm looking forward to this weeks episode, a few weeks ago in The Sun, there was an article with the heading 'Whose the daddy?' with a picture of Rory, the Doctor and a heavily pregnant Amy. Even thought the father is likely to be Rory, it did get me thinking for a while!
Tara Aurelium
Oakshaft 79

Post by Tara Aurelium »

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one. The second part left me much less satisfied than the first part. It was good, don't get me wrong, but something about it was just... lacking. I didn't like the fact that we saw the angels actually -move-, since their creepiness is so high partly because we always see them in their still form. The entire Amy assault in the end kinda caught me by surprise also, I didn't like it too much.

And wow, Amy = River? I dunno. It sounds..niceish but I find it difficult to believe somewhat. I don't think River is from Amy's time, is she?

Next week's episode looks good indeed c:
Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

It's been a while for this thread, eh? Well, I just finished watching "Cold Blood," and, well, I just have one thing to say.

"You're so beautiful. I'm sorry."

*cries*

*sniff*

Rory, no! I don't want you to go! You, Amy, and the Doctor made a great Team Tardis. Stay with us! Don't die! *sniffs some more*

Prof. Miette Bynny
Moontrimmer

Post by Prof. Miette Bynny »

I will add to that

"This way stupid"
The lovely medal was made by the Awesome Dairy Oh Moo Cow aka,Dario Å ehović
Jinxy Jo
No broom

Post by Jinxy Jo »

Cosmo Brown wrote:QUOTE (Cosmo Brown @ May 30 2010, 03:19 AM) Rory, no! I don't want you to go! You, Amy, and the Doctor made a great Team Tardis. Stay with us! Don't die! *sniffs some more*
Wasn't the ring and box still in the Tardis though? Or did that disappear as well. If it's still there I reckon Rory will be back before Christmas. After all that ring means he still existed.

It's weird because after the dream lord episode, I said (on another forum) it would have been a great twist if Amy had picked the Doctor over Rory and Rory had died. Now I wish I hadn't said that!
Prof. Cosmo B. Mott
Cleansweep One

(I missed seeing the reply here, and now SO MUCH has happened!)

Man, this is the first DW series I've been able to watch "live" (Tennant's specials don't count, 'cause they're specials, see. Nor does Children of Earth, 'cause that was more event-y, and neither does Sarah Jane Adventures, 'cause, while fun, that's not as squee-tastic.), and it's been fabulous. I really love this show. It's such fun. And this series has been great. I have a feeling I'll be rewatching the whole thing very soon. And then hopefully again, when my brother catches up.

Vincent! Normal!Doctor! The Pandorica! Roranicus! River Song! The giraffe dance! I mean, what's not to love?

And, by all accounts, this was all just to set up next series, so yay for that. So many questions to be answered, so many more adventures to be had. I can't wait. :D

I may not be Pond, but I'm definitely sticking around.

Oh, and has anyone tried any of the adventure games, with the Doctor and Amy? I'm still in the first one (just picking up a bit here and there, really), but I'm not gonna lie to you: getting spotted by the Daleks, and all of a sudden hearing them call "Exterminate!" after you? Makes you jump and makes things kind of tense, even though it's only a game. <_<

Lily Diggory
No broom

Post by Lily Diggory »

I think that Matt Smith is as good as David Tennant. Lets face it, the real problem was with the writers. What was RTD thinking when he ruined the End of Time? It was one of David Tennants worst episodes! He should have gone out memorably!

I love the new Doctor and Amy, they make a good pair. I loved the Pandorica Opens and the Big Bang. And River Song! Love her!

My favourite quote is this : Dalek: Records indicate you will show mercy. You are an associate of the Doctors.
River: Check your memory banks again. River Song.
Dalek: Mercy!
River: Again.
Dalek: Mercy!
River: One more time.
Dalek: MEEEEERRRRRRCCCCCCAAAAYYYY!

Amy: What happened to the Dalek?
River: It died.

I loled!
Badger Pride! Hufflepuff to win the House Cup 2011!

Return to “TV Talk”